Monday, September 14, 2015

Another Reading Challenge Update

Here's where I am so far on the reading challenge:


Added this time are:

1. A book I've been meaning to read. I read Rocks of Ages by Stephen Jay Gould, which has been on my reading list for a VERY long time. It's a fascinating breakdown of the unnecessary "feud" between religion and science, how it came about, and the history behind it. I found it particularly interesting (and also disheartening) given that this issue has actually intensified since the book was initially published.

2. A book that was originally written in a different language. Haruki Murakami, The Strange Library. I picked this one up because it looked like it might have a Neil Gaiman-y feel, and it did, but it didn't have that thoroughly satisfying "I've read this before, maybe in another lifetime" feeling that so much of Gaiman's work has. I'm guessing the book is more rooted in Japanese mythology, because duh, the author is Japanese, and that might be why, since I'm not as familiar with that mythology. But I don't know. In any case, an interesting book, though the knife-twist on the last page seemed unnecessary.

3. A book recommended by someone with great taste. Haruki Murakami again, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. My BFF recommended this one. It was a quick and easy read, but with depth to it, and it's more--or at least as much--about life and writing as it is about running.

If anyone else is working on this list, I'd love to hear from you!

0 comments: